It's official: Tuesday is laundry day.
My plan is to wash only two loads, every other week. From now on, in the S household, an item shall only be placed in the dirty laundry bag if it is giving off a strong bad odor, if it has a large and obvious stain, or if it has had serious exposure to germs. The rule stands until such time that someone else is paid to do the S household's laundry. In case you're wondering why, I'll explain the steps I had to go through to do one load of laundry.
1. Get Tate's ID card from him.
2. Go to the Business Office between the hours of 9am and 2:30pm, Monday through Friday--during which they may or may not be open--and put some money on Tate's account.
3. Go to the bookstore to buy laundry tickets (7 dirhams each--that's almost a dollar).
4. Go back to the apartment, sort the laundry, and load it into the duffle bag.
5. Walk down three flights of stairs with said duffle bag. It's heavy. I'm a wimp.
6. Walk to Building 36, about a quarter of a mile away, including some up and down stairs.
7. Once the laundry attendant is finished with her phone conversation, give her my ticket so she can put a token from her pocket in the washing machine and start it.
8. Walk back to the apartment because I forgot to bring something to do while waiting for my laundry, and anyway, there's no place to sit and wait.
9. Walk back down the stairs and over to Building 36 to move laundry into a dryer.
10. Laundry isn't done yet, so wander around outside for a few minutes.
11. Move laundry into dryer.
12. Walk back to the apartment.
13. Walk back to Building 36 and give the woman another ticket because the laundry is still wet.
14. Walk back to the apartment.
15. Walk back to Building 36, load up the duffle bag, and walk up and down some stairs to my apartment building.
16. Walk back up three flights of stairs.
17. Lay out the clothes that still aren't dry.
Hmm. Maybe there are some improvements to be made to this procedure.
(I have, for nearly my entire life, absolutely detested doing laundry. The only exception occurred during the three years in my house in Powell [which, by the way, is still for sale]. Oh, Frigidaire high efficiency washer and dryer right on the back porch! How I miss you!)
WHEW! What a hassle! You have my symapthies. :(
ReplyDeleteAfter completing step 3, it's definitely time for hired help. In the meanwhile, I presume you'll need to make do with washing in the sink and hanging in the shower. (I mean the laundry ... now don't get any ideas.)
I've been known in hostels to string makeshift laundry lines all over the bedroom. I highly recommend doing something of the kind.
ReplyDeleteI say you hire someone to do the laundry! But until that time, I agree with comments above. Let me know if I need to send you some Woolite-like detergents. Miss you, but am loving reading your blog!
ReplyDelete