Maybe it means that we are simple people, but T and I don't need a lot of excitement to be happy. One of the simple things that makes us happy is having breakfast at Café Igloo in the marché. We like going with friends, but we are almost as content to go by ourselves.
And we always order the same thing: I get nuss nuss (half coffee, half milk) and T gets atay. We both get meloui bsla (meloui with onions and "fromage," i.e. la vache qui rit). T gets an omelette, which is cooked in a tagine and comes with an entire loaf of fluffy white khobz. If we're feeling decadent, we will each get a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. This breakfast will cost us about five U.S. dollars.
It's cheap. It's simple. And we both already know it's one of the things we will miss when we leave Morocco.

Those omelette tagines still turn my stomach (soooo much oil), but YUM to the meloui! And what'd we have - meloui with honey and then was it meloui with the dried goat in fat? Yum, yum, yum.
ReplyDeleteAnd the nuss nuss? Life seems like an eternity of roughing it without it. :)
I just emailed you about missing Morocco and now you really me missing it!
[That is - "now you really have me missing it!"]
ReplyDeleteOh soul, I cannot stop thinking about Moroccan food now. I would pay an insane amount right now for a good pastilla. Holy moley those things are A.MA.ZING.
ReplyDeleteNOLA, you make me smile. You're welcome to come back any time!
ReplyDelete